Friday 23 April 2021

Port Moresby's street mechanics are the deals

 I met Dean in front of Pacific Engineering at Waigani in 2014 and uses him to work on my car for any faults ever since.

After every three months I give him a call to service my car.

The tasks would include changing gear oil, brake pads, engine oil, spark plugs, air cleaner and fuel filter.

This usually costs me around K100 to pay him. That's out of my choice actually.

Dean is from Simbu and Morobe and is a qualified mechanic who worked with several companies and his last was with a security company.




He told me he was at Pacific Engineering once to buy car parts for his employer when someone had a car problem right there and Dean helped him.

This guy paid him K100.

Being formally employed, Dean earns about K350 a fortnight, he said.

At that moment when he saw a K100 in just less than an hour-he concluded freelancing was his best option to earn many times more than being formally employed.

In a fortnight freelancing, he makes more than K1000.

He has his tools and hangs around with many other freelance mechanics at the Pacific Engineering area.

He is a qualified mechanic who can strip the car and engine and put them all back.

He change change tyres, work on brakes and many other things for cars.

He could do electrical work.

I highly recommend Dean and I suppose his services of top standard are well cheaper then bringing a vehicle to a workshop that would cost you arms and legs.

But there is one thing that concerns me about the service provided by Dean and his co-freelancers.

They turn the streets into a dull workshop with dirty oil spilled everywhere, kind of.

I suggest the metro government in Port Moresby buy and fence an area where these freelance mechanics can hang around and people bring their vehicles over.

At the end of the day, these people get paid to survive and car owners can afford their rates.

The metro government can only charge them minimal fees to keep the designated area clean, particularly for environment concerns dealing with oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Criteria for pap smear